Sunday, November 4, 2012

Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers




 Sometimes I need a brake from the sweets. Don't get me wrong I love the sugar but sometimes a little savory is what Im looking for.
So who do I turn to for inspiration and ideas but my three kids of course. My son, who is the constant snacker in the house suggested "Goldfish". I think we almost always have a bag of Goldfish or Cheese Nips in the pantry.
I research cheese crackers online and found that there really isn't much that goes into making them. Basic ingredients like flour, cheese and butter how simple is that.
I dont have a "Goldfish" cutter but I do have a few fall pastry cutters. So that was pretty much my theme.
But then I came across The Pioneer Women's "Tasty Kitchen" recipe site. By the way it's a great site for all kinds of baking ideas. Any way stumbled apron "missamy's" step by step instructions on making a Goldfish cutter using an aluminum can. http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/homemade-goldfish-crackers/ Fantastic!
My version wasn't quite nice as "missamy's"  but it did work.


                                                                                                         

                                                   Lets just say it toke me a few try's!                                                                                

Ta Da!

Ingredients
8 Ounces of a good bar cheddar cheese. Shredded                  
4 ounces of cold butter
dash salt
2 Tablespoons of very cold water
1 Cup All Purpose Flour.
In your food Processor Place all ingredients except the water.  
Chill for 30.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 15 minutes


Pulse 5 to 8 times. Add 1 Tablespoon of cold water at a time. Once all combined your dough should be slightly moist and a bit lumpy.
I added a few drops of organic orange food coloring "Indian Tree". Because I didn't use "yellow" cheddar cheese. Why...just didn't have it on had so I used white cheddar.
Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator for a good 30 minute. You want your dough to be a little stiff when you it roll out.
I rolled mine out to about 1/8 of and inch. Keep in mind this dough will puff slightly so you don't want it too thick. Using different cutters makes a nice change to the average square shape.

I sprinkled a bit of salt before baking but you certainly don't have too.
Bake at 350 for 15 minute or until they are slightly brown on the bottom.

Trust me these little guys wont last long. Homemade Goldfish is sooo much better than store bought.

Enjoy

1 comment:

Raspberry Cake

Raspberry Cake

Little Minis

Little Minis

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes