Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Low Fat Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes with Low Fat Cream Cheese Frosting


An aunt of mine had posted a recipe for these yummy "Cinnamon Roll Cups" from the website http://lovewithfood.com. I thought it sounded so good and the picture just made my mouth water... most people commented on how wonderful they looked and how simple the recipe was. But what really caught my eye is how aware people were of the fat and calories. So I wondered if I could make these with a little less fat and still keep the flavor.

The original recipe called for 1 vanilla cake mix, a cinnamon sugar mixture  for the center of the cake and 2 cans of Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans. I personally don't like canned frosting I think after years of making my own nothing else really compares, but hey if you like it by all means use what you like.

Wether you use a boxed cake or your favorite by scratch cake you can always doctor it up and make it semi healthier for you.  The internet by the way is loaded with great vegan or gluten free recipes too. Many times it take trial and error to find one that suits your tastes.

For this recipe I replaced 1/2 cup of oil with 1/2 cup of applesauce and added 3 TBS of flax seed. Believe me your kids won't even know it's in there and even more you can either replace the whole eggs with just egg whites. When you add  3 Tbs of flax seed will be replacing some of the fat you took out and replacing it with healthy omega 3 fat.
 Fill your cups half way and add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixer then fill 3/4 to the top with the batter.


For the frosting I use 8 ounce of cream cheese-4 TBS butter- 4 cups of sifted powdered sugar-1 teaspoon vanilla-Beat Cream Cheese and butter well. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. If you find too stiff add a Tablespoon at a time until you have achieved the right consistency.  Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts to garnish.



ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raspberry Cake

Raspberry Cake

Little Minis

Little Minis

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes