Saturday, March 19, 2011

For the love of "Cookbooks"

What inspires you to cook or bake. For me it's my cookbooks. I have so many cookbooks I would hate to part with any of them. Why-because like any sentimental object they hold something special for me. I can remember where I got each one and from whom and why. Strange I know but that's the way I am. :) The best place (I think) to pick up unique books are at tag sales. You never know what you might find.

Thought I'd share some of my favorites with you.


I tend to like older cookbooks not only for there nostalgia but for the simplicity of the recipes  (not all the time but most of the time).



My favorite go to books is "The Fannie Farmer Cookbook". This book was given to me at Christmas time by a very good friend. 
If I'm looking for something quick I know I can find it in this book. I like the way the pages are laid out. Simple and direct instructions. This book covers just about everything. No pictures in this one but you don't need them. Funny-my husband will only look at a cookbook if it has colorful pictures, it's what sparks his interest I suppose. Which is why my next choice is his favorite!



 "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook" is retro 70's all the way. This book has great color illustrations in the beginning which is always nice to see what you're making "should" look like. It too runs a variety of recipes-from liver pate to wedding cake making it's all in here.
Oh- this book was going to get tossed out at a tag sale. Couldn't see it go in the garbage so I took her home ;)

This "Betty Crocker" Cookbook came from my husbands Aunt. This 1961 cookbook has some unique qualities. I like the fact that the first pictures are are women at the "Betty Crocker" test kitchen wearing lovely yellow calf length dresses with very stylish late 50's hairdo's. In Classic Crocker style each section has a tab separator. But what is unique about this one is that on the page separator it not only lists what is in that section but has time saving tips and a meal planner. 


Well that is it of my random musings for the day-Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raspberry Cake

Raspberry Cake

Little Minis

Little Minis

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes