Friday, February 25, 2011

Black Forest Cake

I have researched for several weeks on the proper way to make this cake. Let me just say its amazing how many versions there are. What we have here is an American adaption of a German Black Forest Cherry Torte. I don't believe they added chocolate ganache-I did and I liked it :)

Typically this is a 3-4 layer devils food cake that has a splash of cherry liqueur not only for taste but to keep the cake moist. Whipped cream  covers the cake and in between the layers cake. I used canned pitted tart  cherries along with the the whipped cream filling. To me this adds a nice texture and extra flavor



I made this cake with cherry juice from maraschino cherries, the juice from canned tart cherry's and with  Kirschwasser Liqueur  (a German cherry liqueur). I have to say that if you can find the liqueur try it.
All are equally tasty but the liquer just adds something special.
On another note about the Kirshwasser not every liqueur store carry's it so you may have to call around.

For a little decoration I added shaved chocolate and chocolate ganache shells on the bottom. And of course some of the maraschino cherries on top.
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raspberry Cake

Raspberry Cake

Little Minis

Little Minis

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes

Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes